Foster A Dog In Your Home And Change Lives
Washington Assistance Dog Education Center, (WADEC), is in the process of selecting foster homes, either long or short term care, for dogs and puppies in assistance training.
Become a WADEC foster home
Foster Home and Socialization Caretakers are an integral part of WADEC as an organization. Caretakers provide temporary home and socialization to WADEC foster dogs. Caretakers work with WADEC to ensure that the dog (s) are healthy and safe and are progressing toward their socialization benchmarks . In order to fulfill these responsibilities, caretakers provide a caring home, socialization opportunity within community settings and participate in weekly dog training classes.
Fulfilling WADEC's Mission to match people with special needs with dogs with special abilities and provide ongoing training and placement support.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities - Specific duties include;
- Provide sleeping and living accommodations for foster dogs.
- Ensure that foster dogs get an appropriate level of exercise.
- Provide WADEC approved food for foster dogs.
- Provide bedding.
- Ensure that dog maintains appropriate level of grooming.
- Ensure that dogs receive an appropriate number of socialization opportunities.
- Maintain open lines of communication with WADEC staff.
Length of Service:Will vary depending on the trainings needs of each individual WADEC dog. WADEC works with Foster Home and Socialization Caretakers to find terms of service that are mutually agreeable, a dog may have more than one foster placement during it's time in WADEC training. WADEC may have respite help available for foster homes.
Group Training Classes and Time Commitment:
- Caretakers must be available to take the dog to group training classes (at no cost to them) at approved training facilities offering classes.
- Caretakers must be available to communicate with the WADEC staff on a weekly or bi weekly basis, via email, phone or in person.
Expectations of foster homes:
- Allow WADEC staff to visit your home to check your compatibility with WADEC foster home policies.
- Participate in a 2 hour Foster Home and Socialization Caretaker orientation.
- Help communicate and promote WADEC's mission and programs to the community.
Short Term Foster Care: We may have dogs that need a short-term foster home (anywhere from a weekend to a couple of months). These may be adult dogs that need evaluation or time to grow up after being adopted from a shelter, or puppies needing respite care while their raisers are on vacation. A two hour orientation class is required.