WADEC Core Services
WADEC Assistance Dog Training
WADEC Intake for dogs from a shelter or breeder
Where we get dogs
Rescued from the animal shelter
Bought from a breeder
Donated buy a breeder
- Dog passes a Temperament Evaluation Report (TER). The TER assesses each dog admitted to WADEC's training program.Temperament is the overall perception of the dog's behavior. The TER evaluates an individual dog's temperament through a series of tests that measure traits including stability, confidence, shyness, friendliness, aggressiveness, protectiveness, prey instincts, self-defense instincts, and ability to distinguish between threatening and nonthreatening situations
- Dogs from animal shelters or breeders are placed in a WADEC foster home for initial training and socialization. WADEC uses positive behavior support and evidenced based training. WADEC puppies and dogs, with their foster families, attend weekly training in basic obedience and socialization and receive in home support from WADEC staff. Initial training may take 6 months to 1 year, depending on the needs of the dog.To learn more about the WADEC training Curriculum and evidence- based training and positive behavior support, click here.
- After the dog completes socialization and basic training with it's foster family, WADEC assistance dogs receive 6 months of intensive training with WADEC staff to learn the specific assistance tasks they will need to assist their human companions.
- WADEC trained dog is matched with a WADEC client!
- WADEC dog- client team receive long term training and support.
* note TER as downloadable PDF